Sports Performance Excellence Program in Years 9 and 10, focuses on improving performance in a variety of activities directly and indirectly related to sport. This is a practical based subject with students developing skills in a variety of sports with an emphasis on applying theoretical knowledge in practical sporting contexts. Participation in practical activities and demonstration of theoretical principles in action are an expectation in this subject. It is highly recommended that students entering this course have a keen interest in sport and intend to participate to their full potential in all practical and theoretical elements.
Topics Covered include:
- Sports Management, Coaching & Officiating
- Motor learning & Biomechanics
- Energy systems & Fitness
- Tactical Awareness
- Sport Psychology
- A range of sporting opportunities
Students are required to submit an application for consideration into this course.
Standards & Expectations
Sports Performance students who are successful in applying for this course are expected to actively and positively engage in all aspects of the course demonstrating very high standards of effort and behaviour at all times. Students must meet and maintain set standards to obtain a position and remain in the program. These include:
- Maintain a 90% attendance rate and attending class on time
- Work to the best of my ability to achieve a minimum standard of B in Health and Physical Education and/ or English
- Maintain and achieve a minimum standard of very good for both effort and behaviour in all curriculum areas
- Participate to the best of my ability in all theory and performance-based activities and assessments including fitness testing, skills, drills, individualised and team sports.
- Meet all other expectations of me as agreed in the Flagstone State Community College Responsible Behaviour Plan.
As part of the Sports Performance Program, students are expected to join the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) program and therefore bring a Windows laptop to school every day for their class. The laptops will be utilised for online learning and technology tasks.
Applying for a place in the Sports Performance Program
If you are interested in submitting an application for the Sports Performance Program for Year 9 in the following year, please complete the Year 9 Sports Performance Program Application Form and return it to the Head of Department HPE and Sport. Applications will be assessed and offers will be made to successful applications.
For new enrolments to Flagstone State Community College interested in applying for the Sports Performance Program in Years 9 or 10, please complete the Sport Performance Program Application Form for new enrolments and email it firstname.lastname@example.org before you organise your enrolment interview. Applications will be reviewed for eligibility. Should the class be full your child will go on a waiting list.